Re: RedHat 9 installation surprises

Concerning what sounds like a font problem in
using braille displays on Red Hat 9:

I don't have access to a braille display, or
know anyone who does, but I can pretty well guess
where the problem lies, so that by pointing
to the proper package, you can find the
particulars of the right solution, and since this
sort of thing comes up more regularly these days,
you can post the actual solution, and maybe
contribute it to the FAQ.

The kernel has long had the ability to have
various fonts installed into the text consoles;
you can get some idea of the number of these by doing:

locate consolefonts | less

or more breifly:

locate consolefonts | wc -l
234

for a simple count of the possibilities.

Red Hat and other distributions are moving more
and more toward internationalization, so that the
default fonts are likely to be problematic.  That
means that it will be more necessary than ever to
load a stripped down font for the console, for
devices that are non-standard (you mentioned
"console", so I assume you are not talking about a
serial device, which are controlled by terminal
description files, pointed to by the TERM variable
-- note that there should be terminfo and termcap
description files for specific displays in this
case).

If you do, for example:
rpm -qilf /lib/kbd/consolefonts/iso01.16.gz | less

(replace the "l" in "-qlif" with "d" for just the
documentation) you will find that these all come
from the kbd package, which includes all the
utilities and their documentation for listing,
installing, and modifying these fonts.  Presumably
you would want to use a fairly stripped down one,
such as the last mentioned file, which contains
only the following:

In iso01.16.gz:
# combine partial fonts
none.00-17.16
ascii.20-7f.16
none.00-17.16
8859-1.a0-ff.16

So maybe that one would be ok?  Or even more
basic, only the second (ascii) one in the list?

Sorry about taking so long in answering this:
I was hoping someone more qualified could give
a more specific, apropos answer, but that seems
not to be likely now.

Hope this helps, LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html