[Lugor-discuss] linux-R.I.P or sick?

I conclude it is merely the sniffles:     here are some good quotes:

> RE: Killing Linux  By John C. Dvorak  June 2, 2003=20

Dvorak predicts the death of everything. He's been the computer
industry's own Chicken Little[1] for the past two decades, and shows no
sign of stopping any time soon.

Because he's a writer and doesn't actually code or work for anyone in
the industry (or, especially, the open source community) his viewpoint
is a little warped, and rather disconnected with reality. [For those
keeping score, yes, dvorak has proclaimed the imminent death of apple
computer at least three times, and a few weeks ago stated that apple
would have to switch from motorola to intel.[2]]

Now, that's not to say that there could be some potential fallout from
the whole SCO debacle, but before we even get to thinking about it,
SCO has to actually make it to trial against IBM without being smacked
down with a summary judgement. [There's already a preliminary
injunction against SCO in Germany.]

As a final note, Linux (and Free Software in general) is
multinational. A court decision in one venue won't affect the rest of
the planet.
Don Armstrong
===
There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good
sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more. =20
 -- Woody Allen
====
Quoting herzog (herzog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
>         Dvorak Predicts Death of Linux
> The open-source community might be laughing it off, but this

If Dvorak predicted the sky was blue, I'd go outside and check because it
would likely mean it had turned green.  He does not have any credibility.
====
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history... with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
  - Mitch Ratcliffe
=====
It is true that Linus belittled the way SCO has handled the case but
he also said he would wait and see what happened in the court room
because those events are the only ones that count for anything. SCO
can scream and wail all they want in the media but it doesn't change
the legal standing of the kernel, IP, IBM or anything else.

Mr. Dvorak skimmed Novell's involvement and if what they say is true
then they still hold the IP rights and SCO at most can sue IBM for
breach of contract, not ownership of IP in the kernel or anywhere
else. Also, if the "old" version of UNIX that Novell has ownership of
is SysV then (please correct me if I'm wrong here) the kernel is safe
because the Linux kernel is closer to SysV than any other flavor of
UNIX.

Lastly, Mr. Dvorak seems to be brushing aside the fact that most
parts of the kernel have competing projects building, offering and
supplying code. Heck, there are many versions of the Linux kernel of
whch Linus' is only the "official" version. If some small part of the
kernel has offending code then that peice could be swapped out very
quickly with the code from a competing project and the IP issue would
be null and void. If enough of the kernel was illegal then another
whole kernel could be pulled in as the "official" version. If there
is any doubt about the kernel coding communities ability to deal with
issues at this level, we only have to look back as far as when the VM
subsystem was swapped out wholesale on the stable kernel
version(pardon the pun).

These Abstracted without permision from a local Linux experts list in reply to
my quoting the worries.  I say it will be too late and impossible to ever
stop the free american spirit.  Will