Re: Choosing an email client

On 04/01/03  1:28 PM -0500, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

> 1. It must display long lines in incoming messages. It'd be nice if it
> wrapped silently on word boundaries, but since I use Braille it can be
> on screen boundaries instead. Mutt does this fine.
>
> 2. It must wrap output lines. Preferably during message composition but
> during sending would be fine. Mutt doesn't do this. It's not too bad
> since I use Braille and can use the cursor routing buttons to chop lines
> as I proofread my messages, but I'd prefer a more automatic method.
> Also, if I make a change after segmenting a line I'm liable to have to
> massage the rest of the paragraph.

This isn't a mutt issue, but an issue with your editor. They all have
ways to set line length.

> 3. It should handle lines in quoted messages properly and automatically.

Exactly what do you mean by handle? with shift-s and shift-t in mutt I
can make quoted lines disappear or skip through them.

> 4. It should handle POP3 incoming messages. I guess this is a non-issue
> because apparently everybody can interface with Fetchmail,
> right?ooFetchmail really is the way to when handling pop3 accounts,
> but mutt can do it. Set the pop_host, pop_passwd, and the pop_user in
> your .muttrc file and when running mutt use shift-g to fetch your
> mail. Alternately you can put a pop3 mailbox in the change mailbox
> command. For example pop://user:password@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> 5. It must have a spell checker. Mutt does; if it didn't you'd know it
> in a hurry. <Grin>
>
> 6. I want to save all my deleted messages, both to find people's
> addresses and to (occasionally) reread threads. After untold hours of
> studying configuration and manual I haven't figured out how to do this
> with Mutt. I'm sure it can be done...

I can't create the recipe off the top of my head for this, but this
seems like a good use for procmail. I know it can be done within mutt,
but again not off the top of my head.

> 7. It should handle all types of attachments and messages. If Linux
> can't display them directly I should be able to save them for
> transport to Windows.

Mutt handles attachments fine as far as I've seen. press v within a
message to see the list of attachments and press s on an attachment to
save it. Whether or not mutt can open the attachment with the right
program depends on your .mailcap file. Try man mailcap for an
explanation. As for transport to windows I'd rather not.

As I'm sure you can tell I am a big fan of mutt. It is extremely
configurable and simply gets what I want done done.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.