Re: talking rescue CD roms

Check out Knoppix Linux distro.
It comes on a CD-Rom. Boots/runs  directly from CD-Rom.
Can be booted into Xwindow or into console mode.
Has built in support for braille terminals (since I'm not working 'eyes
free' I never tested that feature)
Comes with 1.7 gigabytes of software (compressed file system).
Comes with excellent hardware recognition. I was able to access printer,
Internet by DSL less than 5 minutes after I had inserted the  CD into
the tray. Excellent.
It is relatively easy to burn your own Knoppix including software you
need. Only thing you need is support for compressed file system which
comes as a module for your Linux kernel.

I would take Knoppix as gantry and add the stuff I need.
It might be possible to include cheap quality voice output through
sound card for hard core installation until drivers for dedicated
braille are installed and running.

Knoppix is available at
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

Enjoy!