Re: More on Braille Computer

At 2003/02/23 12:02:18 John J. Boyer wrote:
> Arent,
>
> So it is now possible to have a braille
> computer for about half the price that companies like Freedom Scientific
> want. And it is probably much better. It would beat the Braille Note very
> handily also.

And it becomes much better as these things can be completely open-source ,
including the BIOS thanks to Ron Minnich and his crew at the Los Alamos
National Laboratory
For the terminally curious :
Http:/www.clustermatic.org   and
Http://www.linuxbios.org

As far as the most interesting vendors go here's my verdict :

Nexedi.com ( France ):
Responsive , Wiki , mailinglists , very active , supports Mandrake

VisionSystems.de (Germany ) :
Responsive via telephone , no mailinglist , pricing available on
application via telephone only  , supports S.u.S.E

soekris.com (CA , USA)
Just discovered , small VAR ( smaller than the other two ) no verdict
about responsiveness , currently only 486-based boards , but Geode and
other 586/686-based boards available end of Q2 supports *BSD
Heavily centered on wireless applications , routers , firewalls

Verdict : Nexedi and Visionsystems the most promising as they can deliver
from stock or on short notice
Delivery start of their 586/686-based PSBC's was September and December
2002 resp
Soekris.com should be given the benefit of the doubt , but worth a serious
investigation as they are US-based and can probably do custom jobs
As said above delivery of 586/686-based boards has yet to begin