updating kernel

Hello,
    Running rh8 and i'm having some kernel updating issues. First of all i
got the 2.4.18-24.8.0 or some such long numbered kernel update yesterday
from rhn. Ok, I basically want two things not contained in the stock kernel,
ntfs file system support and support for my laptop's sound card a crystal
cs4281, neither of which is working. I compiled the kernel:
make config, make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules, make
modules_install, make install
    and varified i was going to boot the correct kernel in grub.conf, which
i was. The kernel booted fine, but on boot it will not load my cs4281
module, even though it is in /etc/modules.conf, and if i load it manually it
works fine. For the ntfs module, modprobe ntfs ntfs.o and the *full* path to
the module, which is on my system, modprobe returns that it can not find the
module. Ok, so then i ran depmod -a now this returned some unresolved
symbols but nothing in either of the two above modules. The only other thing
i can think of is the 2.4 kernel version says i'm to use modutils 2.2 i
think that's the version, i've got 2.18 and i have not been able to find an
upgrade on updates.redhat.com. If this is not the answer can someone offer
suggestions? I usually don't have to recompile an rh8 kernel, so it's been a
while.
Thanks.
Dave.