Debian Talking Install?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Thomas Stivers wrote:

> On 01/29/03 12:21 PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the speakup developers just don't seem to "see the light".
>
> I believe one issue is that the speakup developers are developers and
> therefore want to hear every detail from ram check to poweroff and this
> is not possible from user space.

That's a misconception and maybe a little misunderstanding of how the Linux
kernel works.  You always can manage to put any adaptive solution into an
initrd and guarantee that the kernel won't fail up to execution of that
initrd, at which point the adaptive software can retrieve any logged event
that occurred before that point.

> Perhaps a user space screen reader will be developed with the
> flexibility and ease of use of speakup, but as a diagnostic and rescue
> tool I think speakup is perfect.

Speakup can be made the same into user space, and then you'll have the added
bonus of being able to use it with a software synth.

Nicolas