redhat installation help

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, michael malver wrote:

> ...  I thought, when I installed, that I had
> selected 'all applications' but I noticed gcc, and
> emacs (among others) were missing.  Is
> there a way to make up2date install every linux app
> it knows about?

Up2date is for getting updated packages for which bugs
exist, especially security related ones.  It accesses
directories on the Red Hat site that contain a subset
of all the packages -- those which are corrected over
what is on your CD.  It will only get replacements for
what you have installed already, normally.  I use an
alternative 3rd party update utility instead, so can't
tell you much more.

> I have a 20-gig /usr/local partician, so space
> shouldn't be an issue.  I don't want to have to guess
> at what apps I have, or don't.  if I can't do it with
> up2date, can I add the speakup boot loader options to
> a kickstart bootdisk so that I can try installing
> again?

That would be a waste, and possibly a disappointment,
unless you understood kickstart fairly well.  And
kickstart is more for non-interactive automated
installs anyway, so that speakup would be less
relevant during installation (but you would presumably
still need it's facilities installed for normal use).

> What would happen if I went to the rpm directory in
> each of the three cds in order and typed rpm -u *

Very bad idea.  Then you would get lots of stuff that
should not be installed, or should be selectively
deleted immediately after installation, for security
reasons.  You should not install server daemons for
services that you do not wish to provide to others on
the internet, or other related software you do not use.
By doing that, you will avoid many future problems, and
unnecessary upgrading.

And do you really want a lot of very bulky, likely
useless GUI stuff, including big server packages for
numerous video cards you do not have, alternative
window managers you couldn't possibly use
simultaneously (family members or others can use the
GUI at the same time you are using your serial synth
terminal via headphones, or in another room), and the
like?

But the command syntax and approach is wrong anyway.  See
/usr/share/doc/rhl-cg-en-8.0/s1-kickstart2-packageselection.html
for more hints on package selection and appropriate
groupings (this assumes you have installed the Red Hat
manuals locally on your hard drive, from the
documentation CD, or have downloaded them separately
from a convenient Red Hat mirror).  This manual (the
configuration guide) is also readable online at
redhat.com (and downloadable in different formats).

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is award
winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds your data
hostage with "The *Lens*"; see "CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html