LINUX AND ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

well, this is most certainly wierd.
I do have, in fact, a copy of the databases here in question. I also happen
to have a copy of all source codes related to linux based virii (including
the uberhacker cd that contains more than a passing number of them for win32
and/or linux).

I also have disassembled copies of several rootkits (which incorporate virus
type code in them to "infect" binary files on a host system for the specific
purposes of allowing an intruder access. Belive me when I say this, there
*ARE* virii for linux/unix. However, I am rather mystified at why cert no
longer displays them.

oh well, the fact is: they do exist (don't let anyone fool you into thinking
otherwise). My first rule of thumb is this: if there is a way to infect,
intrude, or control a systems processes, regardless of OS, it can be done
given time.

Technomage

On Sunday 02 February 2003 07:50 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, technomage wrote:
>
> I assume that you are using the terms "virii" and
> "infection" very loosely here: searching on
> http://www.cert.org/ for linux virii produces nothing,
> and even if you widen the search for other
> vulnerabilities, you can't come up with any quotable
> numbers like the above, but that would not be
> surprising to anyone who reads CERT advisories on a
> regular basis, as I do.  CERT is far too savvy to make
> such an obvious mistake, considering how such mostly
> meaningless numbers would be misinterpreted or
> misunderstood in the press, and by the less
> knowledgeable.  So why did you publish such?  Never mind
> -- that's a rhetorical question, and yes, I know that
> you were probably not actually saying you were
> paraphrasing CERT, or anything like that, but you must
> admit that "IS" the impression....
>
> So I am guessing that those boxes you are referring to
> had been rooted, probably by some script kiddie, via,
> perhaps, a buffer overflow, and you were forced to
> re-install the system, the way CERT recommends in their
> tutorials for such situations?  What would have
> prevented the break-in, do you think?  Most likely by
> installing updates, the way CERT has repeatedly warned,
> and as I have recommended previously?  Or some of the
> other measures CERT and others advise, such as not
> running unneeded server daemons?  Practical advice for
> the newbie is what is needed here -- but others have
> covered that ground already now.
>
> LCR

- --
numbered!