LINUX AND ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, technomage wrote:

> On Monday 27 January 2003 01:29 pm, you wrote:
> > > I regret to inform you that this statement is
> > > false.  there are, in fact 12 virii and 37
> > > variants therein for various distributions of
> > > linux. I should know, I have had to troubleshoot a
> > > few linux boxes that did, in fact, have virus
> > > infections.
>  ... I base all my information on the
> CERT databases.

I assume that you are using the terms "virii" and
"infection" very loosely here: searching on
http://www.cert.org/ for linux virii produces nothing,
and even if you widen the search for other
vulnerabilities, you can't come up with any quotable
numbers like the above, but that would not be
surprising to anyone who reads CERT advisories on a
regular basis, as I do.  CERT is far too savvy to make
such an obvious mistake, considering how such mostly
meaningless numbers would be misinterpreted or
misunderstood in the press, and by the less
knowledgeable.  So why did you publish such?  Never mind
-- that's a rhetorical question, and yes, I know that
you were probably not actually saying you were
paraphrasing CERT, or anything like that, but you must
admit that "IS" the impression....

So I am guessing that those boxes you are referring to
had been rooted, probably by some script kiddie, via,
perhaps, a buffer overflow, and you were forced to
re-install the system, the way CERT recommends in their
tutorials for such situations?  What would have
prevented the break-in, do you think?  Most likely by
installing updates, the way CERT has repeatedly warned,
and as I have recommended previously?  Or some of the
other measures CERT and others advise, such as not
running unneeded server daemons?  Practical advice for
the newbie is what is needed here -- but others have
covered that ground already now.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html