Re: Reading Linux file systems on Windows

Read the Speakup-Modified Installation HOWTO. It painstakingly explains
about rawrite for both DOS and Windows. That's what you need.

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

The rest--cygwin, etc--is just spinning your wheels going nowhere.

Lee Maschmeyer writes:
> From: Lee Maschmeyer <lee_maschmeyer@wayne.edu>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> For the benefit of any poor souls who might know even less than I (pretty
> difficult, but then I knew less a week ago! :-), Linux files usually reside
> in a file system called ext2. Windows files are in either FAT (including
> FAT32) or NTFS. (There is a umsdos Unix file system and I think I've seen
> reference to ext3 but I believe these are exceptions.)
>
> For reasons which are probably quixotic and impractical, I'd like to be able
> to mess around with an ext2 ram disk, specifically INITRD.IMG on the RedHat
> 8.0 distribution, from Windows (to get Linux set up).
>
> In a running Linux system this is done by mounting the ram disk with
> appropriate options, but since I don't yet have Linux that isn't an option.
>
> I have Cygwin running under Windows but apparently its mount command doesn't
> allow this. I know there are other Linux emulators but know nothing about
> them, nor do I know the DOS disk utility people keep mentioning.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas as to how this might be done?
>
> Thanks loads,
>
> --
>
> Lee Maschmeyer
> lee_maschmeyer@wayne.edu