Re: Reading Linux file systems on Windows

There are both utility programs as well as drivers (in usable form) that
will allow windows (certain versions) to access ext2 filesystems.
Try "ext2 driver windows" on groups.google.com.  Note: I've never used
any such tools, YMMV.

A couple of things come to mind, though.  Perhaps the above tools will
only work if you can point at a device/partition (if, for example,
you are looking to do the equivalent of loopback mount to get access
to the filesystem that INITRD.IMG is on in the first place, that might
not work (you'd have to write INITRD.IMG to a floppy using rawrite?)).
Also, most of these tools will probably work reasonable well with
reading; writing/re-writing may not be supported.
In addition, some of the "image"-style files may be compressed,
or partially compressed, which could also make access from
windows tricky.

Here's my suggestion: try using the "Rescue" mode of the distro's
install (or obtain a micro/rescue distro (tomsrtbt, demolinux, knoppix))
which will boot you to a minimal, but fully functional, system;
these systems nominally contain lots of disk/file/mount utilities,
with which you could probably accomplish whatever it is
you want to do, and they all run without writing on your existing
hard drive (windows nor linux).

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York