Reading Linux file systems on Windows

Hi folks,

For the benefit of any poor souls who might know even less than I (pretty
difficult, but then I knew less a week ago! :-), Linux files usually reside
in a file system called ext2. Windows files are in either FAT (including
FAT32) or NTFS. (There is a umsdos Unix file system and I think I've seen
reference to ext3 but I believe these are exceptions.)

For reasons which are probably quixotic and impractical, I'd like to be able
to mess around with an ext2 ram disk, specifically INITRD.IMG on the RedHat
8.0 distribution, from Windows (to get Linux set up).

In a running Linux system this is done by mounting the ram disk with
appropriate options, but since I don't yet have Linux that isn't an option.

I have Cygwin running under Windows but apparently its mount command doesn't
allow this. I know there are other Linux emulators but know nothing about
them, nor do I know the DOS disk utility people keep mentioning.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how this might be done?

Thanks loads,

--

Lee Maschmeyer
lee_maschmeyer@wayne.edu