From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Mario Lang
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 1:52 PM
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Math programs

"Travis Roth" <travis@travisroth.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of or use any math programs under Linux?
> I have an old book that talks about Scilab and Pari, but these are
> discussed as running under Xwindow.

It really depends on what kind of mathematics you want to do. The matlab
and mathematica as well as maple programs have a command-line interface
you can use.  Those programs are quite expensive though. I've recently
attended a presentation of the program MuPad which is avaiable for
Windows and Linux, and which was evaluated to be especially blind
friendly under Windows.  Since there is a Linux version with a
command-line interface too, this should be quite useful.  It is free to
download AFAIK. Then, there is also GNU octave, which is known to
resemble matlab in somewhat.

You'll have to have a look at some of those, or explain a bit more in
detail how much the program should actually be able to do.

--
CYa,
  Mario