Re: balanced advocacy (Was: questions about slackware

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Gil Andre wrote:
> .... But Slackware has the best man pages of any
> Linux distro, bar none. Which is why I like it.

For anyone who knows how distributors necessarily have
to work, this appears a highly dubious claim.  Most
documentation, of any type, comes with the actual
program packages, which are simply repackaged by a
distributor, with some (usually minor) adjustments for
their configuration.  The rest of the man pages are
likely to come from the LDP project man-pages package.
For instance, the slackware web page lists their
version of man-pages (called manpages by them), as
"Man-pages 1.38", but my Red Hat 7.3 system has version
(shows):
rpm --query man-pages
man-pages-1.48-2

And none of this is likely to affect a newbie anyway,
in the least.

> Another good reasons the BSDs are better than Linux:
> updated man pages -- documentation, the UNIX way.

All those who provide man pages at all use UNIX
conventions (meaning the man macros and format),
regardless of *ix flavor.

And new users need to realize that the end user will
see little difference between BSDs and Linux, and even
some proprietary versions of *ix.  Why?  Because they
all use the the same code base for the GUI and desk-tops,
and even most of the utilities and many of the
development tools, and they try to follow the same
standards, more or less.

I have found the recent advocacy of slackware for new
users somewhat disturbing, and misleading, especially
with regard to the idea of running linux on an old fat
or vfat filesystem.  Such suggestions need to be
balanced with a discussion of the downside of running
with such brain-damaged filesystems (probably off topic
for this list), and the lack of security and stability
costs.  Some idea of these problems may be gotten from
the URL in my sig below.  In particular, read the
section entitled "Chests of drawers and brainwashing".

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html