cdrecord and Sony IDE Drives

	I upgraded to Linux3.0 this Summer and my ability to
record CD's using SCSI emulation died on two different systems.
On one system, I finally got it working with some help, but it
does work again like it should.  It turns out that you must
enable SCSI emulation in your kernel which is no big surprise.
You also must enable CDROM support even though your CDRW drive is
an IDE drive, and you must also enable generic SCSI support.

	That fixed things for that system.

	My work station at my job location seems very similar in
that it is a Dell Dimension series system only slightly newer
than the one I got back to good health again.  Its IDE drive is a
Sony drive but is otherwise a normal IDE device.  After I did the
same three things to that system, it showed all the correct test
results one can look for.  If, for example, you type

cat /proc/scsi/scsi, you will get a listing of all the SCSI
devices you have.  I see the CDRW drive and it also shows up
properly in a second test one can run that will make your system
output a little form which describes your CDRW drive and its
capabilities.

	At this point, both systems behave the same way.

	The trouble comes any time I want to use cdrecord on the
system with the Sony drive.

	Cdrecord starts out normally and then fails with an error
saying that it can't find /dev/pg0.  /dev/pg0 is the first
parallel port SCSI device.  I could certainly build a new kernel
with parallel SCSI support, but is this really necessary?  The
CDRW drive connects to an IDE controller, not the Printer port.

	I am confused.  That system does appear to be otherwise
quite functional.

Martin McCormick