Re: cdrecord and Sony IDE Drives

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Martin McCormick wrote:

> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:54:07 -0500
> From: Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
> To: blinux-list@redhat.com
> Subject: cdrecord and Sony IDE Drives
>
> 	I upgraded to Linux3.0 this Summer and my ability to
> record CD's using SCSI emulation died on two different systems.
> On one system, I finally got it working with some help, but it
> does work again like it should.  It turns out that you must
> enable SCSI emulation in your kernel which is no big surprise.
> You also must enable CDROM support even though your CDRW drive is
> an IDE drive, and you must also enable generic SCSI support.
>
> 	That fixed things for that system.
>
> 	My work station at my job location seems very similar in
> that it is a Dell Dimension series system only slightly newer
> than the one I got back to good health again.  Its IDE drive is a
> Sony drive but is otherwise a normal IDE device.  After I did the
> same three things to that system, it showed all the correct test
> results one can look for.  If, for example, you type
>
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi, you will get a listing of all the SCSI
> devices you have.  I see the CDRW drive and it also shows up
> properly in a second test one can run that will make your system
> output a little form which describes your CDRW drive and its
> capabilities.
>
> 	At this point, both systems behave the same way.
>
> 	The trouble comes any time I want to use cdrecord on the
> system with the Sony drive.
>
> 	Cdrecord starts out normally and then fails with an error
> saying that it can't find /dev/pg0.  /dev/pg0 is the first
What exactly is your kernel version, cdrecord version, the command line
you used to start cdrecord (please use -v option) and messages displayed?

> parallel port SCSI device.  I could certainly build a new kernel
Hmm, do you have an entry in /dev for pg0, pg1, and so on?

On my system there are entries for pg0 .. pg3 which are defined as
character devices with major number 97 and minor numbers 0 .. 3