Java Development Kit

I've been practicing with a zipslack installation, and I'm considering
going for a purer Linux.  I'd like to work with Java.  I installed a
JDK (Java Development Kit) on my zipslack-- it installed okay, but I
couldn't do anything with it.  I'm too green at Linux to have much
hope of unraveling the difficulties, but I read that the Linux JDK was
developed under Debian, so I am considering installing Debian and
trying the JDK again.  If it weren't for the JDK issue, I think I'd
prefer going to Slackware.

My questions:  Are any speakup users using a version of JDK?  If so,
what version and distribution?  I'll appreciate any tips.