problems

Hi.

On Wed, 29 May 2002 20:42:09 +0200, Kristoffer wrote:
> i have managed to install the rpm package from redhat on my zipslack.

First of all, you should install the rpm software
that comes with Slackware, and not download this
software from the Red Hat site. The people who
created Slackware have created an rpm utility
which works in different ways.

"rpm" is not the best package manager for Slackware.
It is the package manager for Red Hat. Slackware and
Red Hat are two very different distributions. While
using rpm on a Slackware system is possible, it is
not recommended.

It depends on the software you are trying to install,
but you may want to look at the following web site:
http://www.linuxpackages.net

This web site has a lot of ready packages for the
Slackware distribution -- in some cases, this may
be mauch easier than downloading the rpm package,
and installing it under Slackware.

> is there a way to get rpm to install all libraries it
> needs by itself from  the cd or something like that?

Yes, from the Slackware CD, you should be able to a
"installpkg rpm.tgz" as user "root".

> what shall i run from the cd to start an instal to install
> the packages who is needed for a real linux system on the
> zipslack system?

Again, which packages? Slackware comes standard with a lot
of useful, pre-packaged software. Try entering "setup" as
the user "root" to have access to the Slackware install and
configuration tool.

> when i shall install packages it sometimes says that it needs
> /bin/sh and some other programs i know come with zipslack.

Again, this probably comes from the fact you are using a
Red Hat rpm utility on a Slackware 8.0 system.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com