redhat and console mode

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Travis Roth wrote:

> This gives me one log-in prompt. I cannot switch consoles with
> the ctrl-alt-Fn keys as some documentation claims.

These keys are only for the normal PC-keyboard and monitor text
mode display.  For the serial port use you need, you would
use the "screen" utility being discussed in a parallel thread.

> Will the line you suggested add this functionality?
> 7:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100

This line gives a login prompt on a serial port line.  For a
Red Hat system, the correct syntax is a bit different (actually
the line above is broken for any system):

t0:345:respawn:/sbin/getty -r1 ttyS0 DT9600 vt100
for example (modify as needed).

> Please explain the advantages to adding this line. Thanks.

This issue comes up regularly on this list, and numerous detailed
postings have been made explaining it all.  Check the list
archives (follow the link below, automatically added to each
message on the list), or email me privately for copies of what I
have contributed (fix my return address in the obvious ways).
Also check and see if this has been added to the blinux FAQ
(can't remember if it is in there -- been a while).

BTW, the line above may work without more detail, if you are
running on com1 at 9600 baud, with vt100 emulation: each of
these things can be customized, and a great deal more.

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html