screen utility

The control-A 4 will work only if screen 4 has already been
created with the control-A c command.

Try logging into your system and then executing screen.
Once screen is running and you are back to your shell prompt
press
control-A c
control-A c
control-a c

This will create three screens in addition to the original one
which is created from the initial screen command.

At this point you should be able to cycle through these screens by
pressing:
control-A 0
control-A 1
control-A 2
control-A 3

if, however, you press control-A 4, screen will  signal an error and
flash the valid screen numbers at the bottom of your terminal. In my case
I hear:
0 ksh, 1 ksh, 2 ksh, 3 ksh:

When you hear this, it means you have tried to access a non-existing screen.

Also, screen allows you to kill a screen and recreate a new one, with the
same screen number.

If an application is hung, you can typically kill the session by pressing
control-A k
Screen will ask yu:
Really thkill this windoww? <y/n)
if you hit y the screen is killed and  any dependent child processes will
be killed as well.

If this happened in screen 2 and you then press:
control-A c
Then a new screen 2 will be created running a new shell process.

Rudy