screen utility

Rudy,
Thanks for the explanation. I am using the bash shell. It turned out
that screen isn't working after all. When I press control-a and then a
digit, say 4, the message "3* bash" appears and then whatever was on the
screen before reappears. I tried this in a document, expecting that I
would get a shell prompt, but the document just reappeared.
John