A Few Dumb Questions from a Potential User

I am very new to  linux myself, so I will give you the budious benefit
of my thinking.

You can visit leb.net and start reading some of the how-to files that seem appropriate.
Ask geeks in your local area about any local linux users groups.
irc.openprojects.net has tons of helpful channels including #blinux.
You can go there and beg for help, smile.

You can either put linux on your current pc or get another pc to experiment with.
I chose the latter; you can get them cheap.
I got a perfectly good pentium 200 on ebay for $25 plus shipping.

I want to keep the things that work decently in windows.
This way I can experiment without worrying about it.

www.redhat.com also has a big series of articles on their site.
Getting start4ed in linux, I think it is called.

Have fun.