cd burners choice

I tried getting an iomega zipcd 650 usb drive going with redhat 7.2 and
had partial success.  Two things I couldn't get the drive to do were write
anything or return its capabilities page to cdrecord when I used cdrecord
-scanbus.  The drive will read cd's, but won't write cd's using the info
in the cd burning howto file and another howto file that claimed those
drives work.  Okay, misinformation only cost me $300 this time.  Maybe I
can cut the cost.  I've also got a phillipps usb cd burner here too which
was bought a little earlier this year and still have blank frisbies to put
in it.  Has anyone got one of these drives to work?  If not, no problem I
can just make backups on zip disks.  That other howto got some
misinformation in it probably due to incomplete testing.