modems

My info on the issues you bring up is about 2 years old but I think it
probably is still correct... Your items 2-4 below depend on your software
and not on the modem. For software, I think you want to go with mgetty. You
can probably do the things you want to do through mgetty's caller ID
feature. You have to have caller ID on your phone line of course.

I did a little reading before I bought my modem and the prevailing wisdom
on the linux newsgroups was to use an external modem. An internal modem is
going to add a third com port to your machine. By default, com3 would be on
the same IRQ as com1. If you get an external modem, you can connect it to
com1 or com2 and avoid that problem.

A friend of mine has an internal modem in his machine and he got it to work
by disabling com2 on the motherboard and forcing the modem to use com2. I
don't know how he did that though and he's on spring break now so I can't
ask him. I think he did it via the Windows setup program that came with the
modem.

Anyway, I think you'll be able to do what you want through a combination of
an external modem and mgetty.