missing characters

If you are transferring to tape, the tape-based VersaBrailles can't
actually handle data in Computer Braille mode much faster than 1200 baud.
They go a little faster if you're using binary braille mode, but nobody's
going to use that mode nowadays.  So regardless of the baud rate on the PC
side, you must have handshaking enabled.  I don't know the limits of the
disk-based VersaBrailles which came later.

At 11:18 PM 3/16/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Probably debian didn't recognize your ethernet card because the default
kernel
>didn't have it compiled in. Some of that might depend on what version of
debian
>you had also, though some card won't be recognized and you then either
have to
>get the module or recompile your kernel. However, it's probably not something
>you wanted to do right at the beginning of linux use.
>
>As for the "versabrailler" (I'm not sure if you are feferring to the vbII+ or
>something else) I haven't used it with linux, but I did use it connected
to my
>computer in DOS to copy files, etc. I did get it up to 9600 baud;
unfortunately
>I don't have it out and can't replicate what I did to accomplish this. I
know it
>had something to do with the dc-in or out and the dts settings and I did
have to
>play with it somewhat. If I get really ambitious I'll haul it out at some
point
>and see if I can figure it out.

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@loc.gov>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <lras@sprynet.com>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>