Imaging the hard drive?

Imaging in linux is the easiest imaging you will ever do.

Use the dd command partition by partition as follows:

dd if=[partition] of=[filename]

So, to image your third partition on the first IDE disk to a file in
/home:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/home/hda3.img

To go the other way and restore from this file:

dd if=/home/hda3.img of=/dev/hda3

PS: Your mbr will be saved when you image /dev/hda1. Or, you can do it
separately as explained in the lilo installation HOWTO:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/home/mbr.img bs=512 count=1

I used to use ghost. This is much easier.