job prob

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on March 16, 2002, at 08:38]

Hi:

>My jobs will not suspend with control z.

Use "stty -a" to query your settings, and check what "susp" is set to.

>However, telnet will suspend with control right bracket and z.

Control-right-bracket is all that's necessary to suspend telnet. What I mean by
this is that it suspends the session and returns you to telnet command mode.
You can change this setting with telnet's "escape" command.

>When i try to suspend anything except telnet, it says
>"cannot suspend on a shell without job control."
>
>The enable command says fg and bg are enabled.
>I am using bash right now.
>How can I make the shell have job control?

It's hard, for sure, to know what your problem is. I believe you said you were
using an old system. This may be your problem. The bash man page says:

    If the operating system on which bash is running supports
    job control, bash allows you to use it.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com