Amending lilo.conf for serial access

Hi All,

I'm still trying to get my braille-lite to work at the very early stages of the
boot process, and I noticed Cheryl Homiak's reference to putting a line in
lilo.conf to make this happen.  Could Cheryl or someone else tell me what
amendments to make to lilo.conf, I tried putting

serial=0,9600n8 in the global part of lilo.conf, and it displayed the lilo
prompt to the braille-lite, but I couldn't get Linux to accept input from the
BL.  Do you still need to set up a label for serial access, with an additional
entry (kernel parameter) of the form console=ttyS0,9600n8?

Also, when I've managed to get serial output to be displayed on the
braille-lite, using the config files on a rescue disk, any file on the BL,
very quickly fills up.  Is there a way of allowing this text to scroll up
through the file, so the earlier bits are discarded?

Thanks for any help

Tim Pennick