To Emacs Users

"John J. Boyer" <director@chpi.org> writes:

> Would one of you correspond with me privately and answer a lot of dumb
> questions on using emacs?
Sure I will. You could also try to get an IRC client running, and
join us at #emacs on openprojects.net (irc.openprojects.net, or irc.debian.org,
port 6667). There are always around 30 people there which will happily
try to answer your newbieish emacs questions :-).

> 1. There is what looks like a menu bar at the top of the screen, but the
> tutorial gives no way to get to it. What's up?
Hit F10, or type M-`. In case you dont know M- means hold down the Meta modifier,
under console that usually means Alt unless you have tweaked that with loadkeys...

> 2. How do I run gcc inside emacs?
You can use M-! (shell-command) and execute external program directly.
But I guess what you want is more of a compile cycle. This usually
involes make too, and Emacs has a nice mode for compilation.
Invoke it using M-x compile RET
(RET means hit the enter key)

> 3. When the compiler says that there is an error on a given line, how do I
> tell emacs to go to that line?
I dont remember that off-hand, but you could in the meantime check that yourself.
Emacs has quite good context sensitive help. If you are in a compile mode
buffer, and want to figure out which keys are bound to certain functions
in that mode, simply invoke C-h m. The m stands for Mode here. You
will get a second window popped up where you usually get a short explanation
of that mode, and a listing of special keybindings available there.

> By the way, I am using BRLTTY and no speech.
I am using BRLTTY too. And I use emacspeak, but more as an
nicer way of reading long texts aloud which brltty doesnt do very well atm.

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>