Taking Control (Braille Lite and Console Access)

Hi All,

I thought I'd just post a couple of thoughts which have occurred to me
recently about increasing access to installation, and to the early parts of
the boot process on Linux using (in my case) a braille lite.

I recently had a Braille lite M20 purchased on my behalf, and have been
attempting to get it working with brltty.  (I have a more or less working
'hack' but nothing remotely resembling a respectable patch yet).

At the same time, I've been reading the documentation about the Braille lite
(poor in my view), and following the discussions about using the serial port
of a linux box, for console access.  One of the much discussed features of the
BL in the manuals and advertising, is its ability to interface with bulletin
boards, and it turns out that there is a program available from Freedom
Scientific, which allows it to be used as a VT100.  I was pretty appalled to
discover that this program won't work on the M20 model of the braille lite,
but it at any rate shows its possible.

I wondered whether people wanting to use braille lite type notetakers with
Linux would be better employed trying to get the BL to work as a decent
terminal for use as a console, rather than on trying to get brltty to work
with it.  Afterall, console access via ttys0 is presumably available
considerably earlier than you can start the brltty daemon?????

Maybe, the best solution would be a combination of the two, since brltty
certainly gives you a far more flexible interface than would be achievable
with a vt100, not least among its advantages, being its use of braille
tables to break the reliance on american computer code.

Anyway, I'd be interested to kow what people think, and if anyone has got the
BL working as a terminal?  (I don't know how you're supposed to go about
writing external programs for the BL, which is what a terminal emulator would
have to be.)

Regards,

Tim Pennick