Using loadlin

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Prasad Chaturvedula wrote:

> mounted the filesystem read write and I could run lilo and do
> everything normally.
*--^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So if you can "do everything normally", that would seem to
indicate that the partition problems mentioned below are no
problem?  Or have you rebooted yet?  The circumstances are too
vague, and this is getting off topic for this list (is a general
type installation problem).  Have you subscribed to your
distribution's mailing list yet?

>     But the problem is my partition table sems to have changed
>     after i added the second disk. Previously my root partition
>     and swap were hda7 & hda8. Now they are hda6 & hda7
>     respectively. I could see this in /etc/fstab and
>     /etc/lilo.conf.

And what kind of distribution and version are you running, or did
you mention that?  Does the fstab file use the newer LABEL=<xxxx>
syntax, instead of /dev/hdaX?  Very convenient for moving disks
around, and essential for scsi removable drives.

> I am also not able to mount any fat16 filesystems in my disk. I
> think this happened because some changes were made in the cmos
> setup when I added the second disk.

So you need to read the fstab man page, and edit fstab
accordingly.  Example line:

/dev/hdb4      /dos/win9x      vfat   user,noauto,uid=520,gid=100,umask=2,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

Device is the partition, in linux syntax (all hardware are
accessed as files in /dev).

> How can I now update these changes to linux , I mean at what
> all places in linux does this change needs to be made like
> /etc/fstab, lilo etc. and how can i do that?

Do:
man fstab lilo lilo.conf

read the lilo manual, etc, and see if they make sense (reading
man pages takes some getting used to, but gets easy with
practice).  Your distribution's manuals and web site can also be
very helpful.  Then your questions can be specific enough for
someone on an appropriate list to figure out you need.  Give them
some appropriate lines from your system config files, and some
info about your hardware -- list your partition tables with
"sfdisk -l" and post relevant info.  Show the relevant output of
"cat /proc/mounts" and "mount -l".  If you deliver enough
specifics, someone may offer some modified config lines you can
try: no one could even guess at the answer from what we have here.
Does the "free" command show any swap space?

Also, the other day, I saw an announcement for a new crash-rescue
HOWTO that might help tutor you (or point to a tutor):
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/LILO-crash-rescue-HOWTO.html

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html