Should I install Linux?

Hello all,
I am a pretty new member of this list and I hope to make some light in my
head if I should install Linux or not.
I have a few questions below. Please answer me on the list or private.

I have Red Hat kit on 2 CD's, and I am thinking to install it, and I have a
Dec Talk PC1 internal sinthesizer.
1. Are there any screen readers which either work with a software sinth, or
with the PC1 internal?
Of course, I want this screen reader to work with all Linux applications.
2. Is Linux accessible only in command line mode? Or it also has a graphical
interface which is accessible?
3. I am thinking to install Linux because I want to learn Perl scripting,
but what other accessories are accessible on Linux?
I would like to have a spreadsheet, a calculator, an MP3 player, a software
for sound editing, a good word processor like MS Word, an accessible
browser.
4. A knowleageable guy told me that Linux has more security holes than
Windows. Is it true?
5. I also heard that there are viruses under Linux. Are there any good
antiviruses?
6. I also heard that Linux is not 100% stable and there are also crashes
under this OS, like under Win 2k I am using now.
7. What do you say? Is Linux only for those who are curious about it and
want to control the system 100% or it could be a helpfull tool for those who
want it to be more easy to use than Windows?
>From these questions you may think I am stupid or something, but I just want
to learn which are the advantages of Linux over Windows 2k.
I know it is free, but are there any other advantages?
Thank you
Teddy,
My dear email address is orasnita@yahoo.com