ViaVoice and internal sound board problem

Hi Mark,

It should be possible to get ViaVoice to work with your sound card, but it
may require some custom coding.

The company that I work for has been developing firmware for a device that
runs Linux and uses Eloquence (same codebase as ViaVoice, I believe), and
it also has a sound chip which apparently can only play sounds at 48khz.
Eloquence and ViaVoice allow the programmer to set up a callback function
that will receive sound samples, rather than having them sent directly to
/dev/dsp.  To get things working, my boss set up a callback function that
uses linear interpolation to convert ViaVoice's 11khz samples into 44khz
samples, which are close enough to 48khz to be usable provided that the
speech rate is slowed by about 9%.

Incidentally, I am working on an Emacspeak server (which should also work
with Yasr and Brass) for Festival Lite, and it should be easy to convert
its samples to play at 48khz since it outputs at 8khz with the default
voice that they are using.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --