VIm Not Linking

You should probably just see if a vim-minimal package is
installed.  It has a plain vanilla text based verson of vim
that gets installed in /bin/vi, so just invoke the editor as
'vi', not vim.

More on the compile errors below.

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Ok. I got the file unpacked, then did make install as
> root. AAfter a while it returned to the prompt with error
> messages to the effect that it found link error 127, Link
> doesn't work at all. Make error 2. I noticed some
> references to gtk, which I assume is the Gnome Tool Kit.

You are right about gtk being the GUI libs it is trying to
link with, and if you didn't install the GUI or X stuff, you
probably don't have those libs, hence the errors.  There is
probably a makefile target you can spot near the top for
compiling just the minimal text version, if you still really
want to do it yourself.  Or look for the binary vim-minimal
package (you need vim-common too).

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson