Editing /etc/sysconfig/keyboard with VIM

You probably want to use the minimal text version of vim in
/bin/vi, so invoke it as "vi".  You could avoid the use of
the editor altogether with the following commands:

echo "KEYBOARDTYPE=pc" > /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
echo "KEYTABLE=/path/to/speakup-jfw" >> /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

(replace /path/to/ with whatever is appropriate).

Also, from /usr/share/doc/initscripts-6.67/sysconfig.txt, we
get the following related advice:

  If you dump a keymap (using 'dumpkeys') to
  /etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap it will be loaded on
  bootup before filesystems are mounted/checked.  This could
  be useful if you need to emergency type the root password.
  This has to be a dumped keymap, as opposed to copying the
  shipped keymap files, as the shipped files include other
  maps from the /usr/lib/kbd/keytables directory.

Hope this helps, LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid