VIm Not Linking

John,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:30:46 -0500 (CDT), John wrote:
> I noticed some references to gtk, which I assume is the
> Gnome Tool Kit. What do I have to do now?

Simple: you are trying to compile the tty (text-only/terminal)
vim AND the GTK version (gvim for X11R6). This is what I would
do:

1. Unpack the vim archive.
2. su as root.
3. change to vim directory.
4. enter "make ./configure --help" to get the "make" help.
(there should be an option to disable the GTK
compiling -- let's say it's --disable-gtk):
5. make ./configure --disable-gtk
6. make all
7. make install
8. cd ..
9. Test by entering "vim" on the command line
10. if everything is OK, rm -rfv ./vim-directory
(replace vim-directory by the name of the directory
created by tar)
11. if you have any problem with your vim configuration,
remember to copy the file vimrc_example.vim into your
"/home" directory, and rename it as ".vimrc". This is
what I usually do, as this makes vim behave very nicely.
12. I you are REALLY lazy (like me!), enter the following
as root:
ln --symbolic --verbose path_to_vim/vim /usr/bin/vi

BUT... before you do any of this...

Are you absolutely certain that your distribution, whatever
it is, does not have a package for vim? I mean, come on, vim
is THE standard package on almost every single distribution
I know: Slackware, Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, you name
it, they all have it... No need to compile if you can just
install the correct package!

Also, you really should include as much information about
your problem as possible, including all the error messages
you get when trying to compile vim -- it's hard to help if
you don't know precisely what's wrong...

Feel free to ask for more help by email.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre ___ Technical writer ___ Arkeia Corporation
email: gandre@arkeia.com | web: http://www.arkeia.com