CPUS

On Saturday 24 August 2002 03:53, ADFM wrote:
> Excuse for being off topic. I have a 3 year old IBM ThinkPad which needs a
new screen. The ThinkPad is a Pentium 2 333MHz. I am told that the price of
replaceing, (about 2000 Canadian Dollars), the screen, I could just buy a new
laptop. I am getting confused about the benefits between a 1+ GHz Pentium 3
and a Pentium 4. Can someone please tell me the benefits? What is a Xeon CPU?
I like to keep the computer around for many years and use the laptop as a
access technology demo machine after doing my own work.

First point to make is that any new machine will be immensely more powerful
than what you've had till now.

Pentium IV laptops are new, and as I understand it guzzle electrons like you
wouldn't believe. If battery-charge life is important, I suggest you don't
get one.

XEON processors are up-market versions of the Intel CPUs. I don't know the
technical detail, but they're usually installed in serious servers. I would
not expect to find one in a laptop.

I don't see the choice of CPU as being all that important. More important are
disk size (and speed) and the amount of RAM. And ease of installing and using
your accessibility technology devices.

I would guess that if you satisfy those requirements you will find yourself
with a Pentium III because the economy computers are more likely to have
economy CPUs, but don't shy away from Celerons if the computer meets your
other requirements.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.