external modem and minicom

Hi John and all:
This is US-Robotics 56k external fax/modem connected to ttyS1.
There is no problem to run wvdial but I can't get any respons from
minicom, even pressing typical combinations of keystroke gives me
no respons, for instance, ctrl+z dos nothing, i can't close the program
and need to kill minicom from another console. Besides, modem accepts
dial-ins but it is another issue.