external modem and minicom

On Thursday 22 August 2002 09:13, Darragh wrote:
> Is it me or is this modem stuff very complicated.  I've tried over fifteen
> command lines that are suppose to do the same thing but nothing happens.
> I'm going to work on it again in the morning.

ordinaryily it's quite easy when
a) You know what you're doing
and
b) You know what you're working with.

In your case, actually identifying your modem and finding where Linux thinks
it is is a problem. Probably if I had it here it would take me a few minutes
to an hour.

Pavel just hasn't provided enough info to work on.

I like to see transcripts (by cut and paste) of what's on the screen, model
numbers on devices and such. If I was working at your location I would insist
on seeing the screen for myself.

What Pavel said is akin to, "My car won't start." I could make some guesses
about the car if I knew what noises it made. I can't make any guesses at all
about his modem problem with what information he offered.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.