INSTALLING EMACSPEAK WITH DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF LINUX

"Michael Weaver" <drwho1@btinternet.com> writes:

> When you install Emacspeak, does it install in the same way under different
> distros of Linux?
Mostly yes.  There are always some little incompatibilities
between different Linux Distributions, but most of the
time, you should be fine.

> What I mean is are the instructions for installing Emacspeak the same under
> other distros as Redhat?
No.  Some use package managment system (like rpm or dpkg), and
others use source-level install, like make and make install.

> I ask this just in case I have problems with Redhat.
Try it first, then ask!

[...lots of gibberish deleted...]

> If I were to buy a new computer and use the CD Carlos created for me with
> Emacspeak and the other utilities on, would someone at the store I get my
> computer from be able to work some of this stuff out as to what I would need
> to get going with Emacspeak?

It would be a real suprise if someone at a standard computer store
would be clueful enough to install linux in the first place, and then
Emacspeak? No, I really don't belief that.

> Perhaps I should try and tell you what exactly is on this utility disk he
> created with the speech software but the problem is, I use windows 98 and
> for some reason, the file extesions are not always spoken out when I use My
> Computer and I am not sure how to force it to speak all the extensions when
> I move over the files and read the names.
Well, ouch!  This is ann exploerer setting.  Hide known file extensions
or something, but this is OT here.

I'd suggest you actually go and get yourself some documentation
aboout the beast you are attempting to tame here.  Read
the tutorial, read the user manual, there are installation instructions there.
Do read it, it will help you alot.

If you are planning to blindly install the stuff, and just
go and use it without documentation, you'll have to be
a wonderchild to manage it.

> Perhaps someone could help me with this question.

Oh yes, the manuals.  Come back if you really have a problem,
describe it then, we'll try to help if we can.

P.S.: stdiosynth, and the viavoice rpms are for the outloud
software speech server.  If you dont have a hardware speech
synth, I'd recommend you go for viavoice if you already
have those files.

--
CYa,
  Mario