Problem installing Red Hat linux 7.2

On Friday 23 August 2002 12:07, Mike Gorse wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, John wrote:
>
> > If I build a current Linux kernel on a Pentium 100, it will probably run
> > overnight. If I run it on my Athlon (1.4) it will most likely take under
one
> > hour. Current Durons and Celerons are not much slower than my Athlon.
> >
> More like 5 minutes actually; I have a 1333mhz Athlon (running at 112x12
> because my motherboard and/or memory can't seem to handle the correct
> settings), and it took me just under 5 minutes to compile a kernel with
> the features that I use.

I'm sure that's true, but the only kernels I've built recently have been
fairly close to Red Hat standard - I turn off APM, turn on ACPI and a couple
of other things.

The configurations I refer to are comparable to each other and so a good
approximation (within the limits of my memory) of the relative processing
power.

I should mention too that your disk I/O with the Pentium would probably be in
the range of .8 to 2 megabytes per second whereas Durons, Athlons, recent
Pentium IIIs & Celerons and Pentium IVs should manage over 30.

Don't take too much notice of 66, 100 and 133 Mbytes/second claims, those are
only for small amounts of data and do not include reading it off the disk
surface.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.