Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the soundcard

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Darragh wrote:

> Hello all, Some more updates today.  I have the right name for
> the modem and a different web site that allegedly has drivers.
> The modem that I'm using is a Conexant HCF PCI modem and the
> model number is 1456pci-r.

Well, a bit of web searching turned up this site:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/index.html

Conexant apparently acquired Rockwell, and the chipset your
modem uses, denoted by the HFC, is a controllerless modem,
which means that it is partially implemented in software (ie,
is not truly a hardware modem).  I believe you said previously
that you asked for a hardware modem, if I remember right, and
made the purchase based on that assumption: if so, you were
ripped off, and that is the primary reason for the many hours you
have wasted, and for the waste of lister's time, too.  My search
was done in hopes of ending that, now that we have enough info.

> I haven't been able to find drivers on the site for it so
> haven't got further than that.

But you can download unsupported linux drivers for it from the
above site.  That doesn't mean you should do so, though.  These
are indeed linux drivers, and there is a Red Hat rpm package
there for you -- but -- and think carefully about this, you may
be buying into a long continued stream of headaches if you use
the modem, even in Winblows (I turned up other sites with drivers
for that OS too, but will not be bothered with posting that).
And you will likely not get the full functionality of the modem
anyway, as explained on the above site.  Plus what do you do when
you need to upgrade the kernel?  Don't even think about using
this modem until you find and read up on the problems and
disadvantages of winmodems, software modems, and the like.  I
have no experience with them, and so, will say no more, and have
no interest in them.

> In Linux, I've still being trying.  I fixed my error and put a
> capital S in ttyS2.

You have more trouble than that, if you are talking about
setserial.  You MUST use "lspci -v" to get the right parameters
for irq and port, as instructed by another poster: guessing
doesn't cut it.

But the better idea is to force your vendor to deliver what he
promised and you paid for: why put up with reduced functionality,
extra hassles, and reduced performance?

> thing.  If I don't hear back from the manufacturors I'm going
> to get another modem.  The manufacturer of this modem can be
> found at www.mri.co.uk Could someone have a look for a driver?
> I've had a brief look but Winblows doesn't like my packet modem
> so keeps conflicting with the 56K one.

So it doesn't even work in Windoze?....  Ugh.

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid