From: Jack Heim [mailto:jheim@facstaff.wisc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 1:22 PM
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Changing from Redhat to Debian

About 6 months ago I studied the distribution wars on Usenet and then
orderd 3 distros from one of the cheap CD companies in this list's FAQ. I
ordered SUSE, Redhat, and Slackware and installed each one in turn. And I'm
no closer to figuring out which is the "best" distro than I was before all
that work.

The never ending argument over the best distro on Usenet usually amounts to
a series of claims by one group that the other distro doesn't do something
and then proponents of the other distro saying that it does indeed do that.
On and on like that.

And I didn't get any impression that any of the 3 distros I tried was much
easier to install than another. In fact, if one is easier than another,
it's only because it takes some of the control away from you which may or
may not be a good thing.

There may be an answer to the question of which one is best for blind users
but I don't anyone can say which one is the best over all.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C243BE.77A626A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Changing from Redhat to Debian</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Several months ago, when I first joined this list, I =
asked the same questions and was urged to study Debbie, Slackware, and =
Redhat.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; I visited each home site and saw so much =
data there that I decided to put off the study until the fall, when my =
workload lightened.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; However, I have not found any blind user =
lists other than this and have found the support here so cordial, so =
knowledgeable, and so prompt that it seems clear to me that Redhat =
would probably end up being my choice. So, I'm wondering why I should =
even bother studying the data on the others.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; It seems, furthermore, that whatever =
shortcomings there may be in Redhat, there's a work around.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Walt</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Jack Heim [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:jheim@facstaff.wisc.edu";>mailto:jheim@facstaff.wisc.edu</=
A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 1:22 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: blinux-list@redhat.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: Changing from Redhat to Debian</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>About 6 months ago I studied the distribution wars on =
Usenet and then </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>orderd 3 distros from one of the cheap CD companies =
in this list's FAQ. I </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ordered SUSE, Redhat, and Slackware and installed =
each one in turn. And I'm </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>no closer to figuring out which is the =
&quot;best&quot; distro than I was before all </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that work.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The never ending argument over the best distro on =
Usenet usually amounts to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>a series of claims by one group that the other =
distro doesn't do something </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and then proponents of the other distro saying that =
it does indeed do that. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>On and on like that.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And I didn't get any impression that any of the 3 =
distros I tried was much </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>easier to install than another. In fact, if one is =
easier than another, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it's only because it takes some of the control away =
from you which may or </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>may not be a good thing.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There may be an answer to the question of which one =
is best for blind users </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>but I don't anyone can say which one is the best =
over all.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>