Speakup questions

Speakup is a patch to the Linux kernel. The tar file you downloaded won't
do anything for you unless you patch it into the kernel, and successfully
compile it on your system.

While many of us first got our Linux computers talking that way, it is
generally not the easiest way for a new user to get Linux talking with
Speakup.

Remind us what Linux you installed and where you got it, please?

PS: Speakup and emacspeak will coexist nicely.