Telnet and Ftp

telnet and ftp are different animals and you cannot combine them into
one. But let's take care of the security first. Telnet and ftp are
terribly insecure outside little private networks. Since ssh or it's
cousin OpenSSH are free it makes no sense to use telnet on public
networks anymore. I use telnet only to test a port on remote server when
troubleshooting some services. It's good for connecting to mail server
on port 25 for example since you don't do anything with real passwords.

Use ssh in place of telnet and scp in place of ftp. That way your
communication is encrypted all the way. It is possible to setup
authentication so that you do not need to type the password each time
you connect to the remote machine. I leave ssh connection open from work
to my home system over T-1 and DSL all day long. I also use a utility
screen which allows me to switch between numerous virtual terminals all
under single ssh session.

--
Rafael
The Gap Between the Rich and the Poor is Constant.