Backing up An Entire System

I strongly suggest you do not depend on windows partition to backup your
Linux files. If windows crashed it's very likely that the partition is
messed up and you will lose everything if you handle it with another OS.

You don't need to backup entire Linux. What I normaly do is tar /etc
/root, /home, and /usr/local to a spare drive or partition. /var is
backed up only for my web server. Every once in a while I put tar files
on tape. I created a script that creates backup file of my important
home directories. Files that can be downloaded from the Internet or CD
and temporarily kept in my home are never backed up.

Since the backup is greater than one CD lately, I split the directories
so that it fits on two CDs. My whole home is probably over 4GB right
now. The important thing is to organize your home space into logical
subdirectories for easy find and backups.

No need to backup my tmp, var, rpm, tar, and such subdirectories of
files I can find on the net. I do have a file that has the names of all
the files in my home. The easiest way to do that is with command

tree ~ > home.tree

which keeps all the names. It's a simple ASCII tree of file names. That
goes into my backup for future reference if needed.

If you are serious about computer use keep one backup somewhere else,
with your friends, car, etc. In case you don't trust others or have
privacy concerns, use encryption before you create a backup.

to create identical directory structure on another partition I use
(cd /sourcedir; tar cfp - somesubdir) | (cd /destdir; tar xfp -)

One last thing, try to convert to ext3 partition format. It's safer that
way.

I hope it helps.

--
Rafael