bookshare inaccessible?

that is my point, Joel; we shouldn't be "painted into a corner" b a group who
was supposedly trying to make books accessible to BLIND people. I don't whine
and complain if mainstream sites seem a little challenging to me, but the people
designing this site apparently made it unfriendly to say the least even to
windows people, if Ann's description means anything. they designed their site so
that special software has to be created for each and every OS using it. Then
they come up with some half-baked excuse about ssl being all we need to solve
the problem; I used ssl on amazon.com just last night so I know better than
that. Finally, I see no disclaimer or warning anywhere on their site that a
particular OS or particular software is essential, yet they want me to pay $75
for this wonderful opportunity for a year. This is worse in some ways than the
Java script issues and buttons without links, etc. that we run into regularly,
because this site purports to be for the use of blind people. Only I wonder:
who designed it? Blind people, or sighted people who thought they knew what
blind people needed, or blind and/or sighted people who were paying no attention
to what we (I mean blind people, not just linux users) need or find most
useable? When a sighted person 9and this is in windows) has to help a blind
person sign up on a site supposedly designed to serve blind people, something is
wrong.
Let me make it clear that I don't think that everybody is obligated to fulfill
my every wish as far as websites or anything else just because i am blind or
just because I use linux; I believe that we also have responsibility and
necessity for adaptation and program development. But I see no excuse for the
kind of website these people designed, targeting a specific minority as they
supposedly were.