From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of John J. Boyer
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 5:09 PM
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: bookshare inaccessible?

Janina,
Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered how Freedom Scientific
could buy Arkenstone and have it remain a nonprofit. That is what one of
their press releases said. I'm the head of a nonprofit myself, and I was
wondering what legal loophole they wriggled through.
But bookshare.org is certainly behaving like FS. The part of their site
with public domain books should be freely accessible to everyone and
accessible with a text browser.
John
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> John:
>
> You're wrong. Benetech is not owned by Freedom Scientific. Where ever did
you get such an idea into your head?

> Benetech is a 501(c)3 non profit in the U.S. BookShare is one of several
Benetech projects.

> Perhaps here's what has you confused. Benetech was created when Arkenstone
sold OpenBook to Freedom Scientific. Since
> Arkenstone was also a 501(c)3, no money from that sale could go to an
inidividual, as indeed it did not. Rather, the
> President of Arkenstone, Jim Fruchterman, used the money to start
Benetech, which he is also President of.

--
Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C1E3DF.499B6F20
	filename="Gordon Svoboda.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Svoboda;Gordon
FN:Gordon Svoboda
ORG:Nexstage Technology Services, Inc.
NOTE:LOW VISION AND BLIND COMPUTER USER SUPPORT SERVICES.
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(330) 524-4444
ADR;WORK:;;240 Mull Ave.;Akron;OH;44313;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:240 Mull Ave.=3D0D=3D0AAkron, OH =
44313=3D0D=3D0AUnited States of America
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:GJS@4NTS.net
REV:20020411T044433Z
END:VCARD