Fw: Fw: income tax online

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Korn" <peter.korn@sun.com>
To: <sec508@trace.wisc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: income tax online

Hi David, Janina,

Janina wrote about a problem with an IRS web site that used a particular
Java Server Pages idiom that lynx, an open source text-based web browser
client was unable to dela with (see the post below).  Janina suggested
that
since lynx doesn't support Java Server Pages, the IRS should not use JSP
idioms on their public web sites (as lynx is an important tool used by
blind
folks in browsing the web).

But... lynx is open source. It is a GNU project covered by the GNU
General
Public License.  Anyone can get the source to lynx, compile it, modify
it,
and redistribute the modified version (or better still, submit those
modifcations back to the lynx maintainer so that the maintainer can
integrate
those changes back into the lynx distribution).

Therefore, isn't the better answer to this problem not a restriction of
the
expresiveness of the IRS website in order to maintain accessibility, but
rather some modifications to the open source web browser so that it can
work
properly with that expressiveness?  After all, one of the things we've
been
saying for a long time is that web sites don't have to be limited in
order to
be accessible...

Perhaps the request to the IRS should be to ask them (and anyone else
who
uses a web idiom not supported by lynx) to consider investing a bit of
resources into making lynx support Java Server Pages.  Or perhaps the
AFB
and/or other disability organizations might invest some resources into
lynx
improvements...

Regards,

Peter Korn

> [...]